Wednesday, February 4, 2015

February 4, 2015

I had the lovely chance to skype with IES friend, Azelia from last semester this afternoon. It worked best to skype at IES, which meant I had to talk to her in French (English is not allowed inside IES). She enjoyed speaking French as well, but unfortunately it was pretty early in the morning for her from New York, so of course, that's always challenging. It's great to continue correspondence with friends from the last semester and hear how re-adjustment has been for them. In general I am more positive about life, more outgoing, back to my old self. I think changing host families has played a huge part in this. I am much happier than I was last semester and a part of that is also because I have well adjusted to my life here.

Last weekend, I went to a major classic music event of the country, La Folle Journée. Multiple concerts happen in different concert halls throughout the week. I went with friends Edward and Noelle to an opera concert with pieces from my favorites, La Traviata and La Boheme. Plus I'm enjoying practicing Italian in my free time with Edward and Mai. Sometimes I need a break from French and choir wasn't possible unfortunately, I am planning on going to Italian conversation hours at a café in Nantes. I have re-learned how important it is to have extracurricular activities outside of academics and to continue to find communities to be a part of. 

I also enjoyed seeing the film Wild with new friends Bo and Gail and then enjoying hot chocolate afterward together. It was interesting perspective to see a film set in the Pacific Northwest and seeing locations like the Bridge of the Gods that I'm well familiar with. "Do you miss your hometown now?" Bo asked me after the time. Yes, I do in some ways, but I'm so relaxed in France; I'm finally at the point in the game where I'm living here with less crazy up and downs from cultural adjustment and being away from home for so long. Nantes is a great place to call home while I am here. 


 I found my hat twin, with Gail





No comments:

Post a Comment