Friday, January 20, 2017

January 20, 2017

I know I've blogged very little this time in France, but I've been keeping busy! It takes time to build a network of friends in one's local community, get into the work rhythm, and find the right housing. Now everything feels in place. Besides my work, I enjoy pleasant activities that charge my battery like going to cardio dance and zumba at Club Gambetta (great place to meet locals) and taking inexpensive, private Spanish and German lessons, one with an Argentinian assistant, Laura and the other with an American assistant, Saskia. I may also be starting very soon giving private English lessons, fingers crossed!

The fountain of Valence completely frozen, 
saw some kids playing in it today!

Georgie (an assistant friend) 
and me both gave postcards 
to our friends at Alix Coffee! We're famous!

I had the best day today! As I do not work Fridays, I enjoyed sharing a recipe and cooking with Françoise, my airbnb host. I am renting a room in her home for four months and we have a good relationship. It works well for my French and we do activities together from time to time. It's a fun experience cooking with a French person, as the presentation of the meal, the colors, the aesthetic is very important, so she remarked how much she liked that for my kale salad recipe with onions, chorizo, and an egg on top.

I spent a lovely afternoon the same day with a French colleague and friend from one of my primary schools, Evodie. We enjoyed conversation over coffee at a mutual favorite café in Valence, shopped a little, showed each other our favorite boutiques in Valence. I always enjoy spending time with French friends and keep close the ones I have. It's a delight when there's a mutual desire to learn and practice each other's language, to have a true exchange. Evodie gives me great feedback on my lessons as she too, is a teacher in training at the primary school level. We both definitely share a love for teaching!

With Evodie in front of the frozen fountain

This past weekend, I spent time in Montpellier with several American assistants including one Australian and Canadian assistant. We enjoyed going to the beach, getting some sun as well, but it was very windy. Montpellier is a lovely, thriving, student city, and less overwhelming compared to Marseille. One of my assistant friends, Rachel studied abroad there, so it was really fun to visit it with her and hear about her experiences. Planning potential future trips down south to get some more sun as it is very cold here in Valence! Definitely will be going back to Toulouse again for a visit!

Photos from Montpellier!


Assistant friends Rachel and Jacob

















No comments:

Post a Comment