Friday, January 2, 2015

January 2, 2015

Resting in little Lisieux, the hometown of my favorite saint, Thérèse. It also happens to be another pilgrimage spot for catholics in France. Unfortunately I made the mistake of booking my hotel way outside of the center of town (never do that again!). It was the same deal in Poitiers having to use the bus to get to the center of town. Walking wasn't even an option because my hotel is located in French suburbia, kind of like being in Milwaukie all over again. It does not cater to walkers, just cars.

After catching a bus to the center of town, I was able to do some solo sightseeing on the path of St. Thérèse. First, I visited the Cathedral Saint Pierre in the center of town where the major bus transit lines are located. The cathedral had a photo exposition of the life of St. Thérèse. I always love images of her. She has a peaceful, gentle regard and her simple spiritual path of "The Little Way" has made her one of the most popular and accessible saints. I really like her life story, especially her life as a Carmelite nun, but she tragically died of tuberculosis at 24 years old. Along with others like St. Augustine, she is also a Doctor of the Church.

 Cathedrale St. Pierre

 One of the photos from the cathedral's exposition. Thérèse is top left.  
 By the chapel of Carmel
 Carmelite chapel
Thérèse statue surrounded by roses. As she said, "I will send down a shower of roses from Heaven." It is said that if one prays Thérèse's 9 day novena, somehow you will end up with a rose. Her image is always depicted with a cross and roses.

Next, I climbed the hill route to the grand basilica built in her honor. Basilicas are always incredible to visit and this one was especially neat for its ceiling mosaics and colors on the inside. The life of St. Thérèse has touched many around the world, so it was no surprise to occasionally hear other languages spoken like English other than French similar to my experience in Lourdes. There is also one of her relics not surprisingly present in the upper basilica. The crypt below the basilica houses has mosaic images of her life, photo exposition, and holds the relics of her parents, Louis and Zélie Martin. The bell tower next to the basilica houses 51 bells!

 The basilica dedicated in her honor

 One of many wonderful statues of her in the town
 Mosaic of two Evangelists, St. Mark and Luke depicted with their symbols, the lion & the ox.



 Photos of Thérèse's parents and four sisters

 Inside the crypt, lower basilica. I loved all the mosaic colors, lots of blues, pinks, and gold. 

Fortunately, I was also able to visit St. Thérèse's house, Les Buissonnets, in the last half hour before it closed. Asking for directions was easy and the signs helped point me in the right to direction. Lisieux is made more for driving anyway, I think. It was a good walk and the house is situated in a quieter part of town. The house was beautiful to visit, such a peaceful energy to it. I wish I could have lived there! There was love in its walls and a strong sense of family. When I went upstairs though to St. Thérèse's room, a nun appeared so suddenly from a side room that it startled me. She was kind though, wishing me a "bon pélégrinage."  I suppose I was just on a pilgrimage without realizing it.

 St. Thérèse's house, Les Buissonnets. my favorite spot to visit
 The copy of the Mary statue that cured Thérèse when she was very ill in her youth
 Her lovely room
 A statue of St. Thérèse with her father, Louis with whom she was close

 Objects of her childhood 

A beautiful home of a saint & loving family

Funny enough, in the basilica bookshop, I came across a book of St. Thérèse that I had used to do a report on her in sixth grade. So she has always been a favorite saint of mine, plus using her name as my high school French class name. Hence why it was natural for my coming to her hometown, Lisieux for a visit.



No comments:

Post a Comment