My last day solo in Venice; it's exhausted me, especially with all the constant crowds of tourists. I took a vaporetto, water taxi to Cimitero, a cemetery island off Venice's coast where historically Venetians have been buried. I'm pretty positive I found Igor Stravinsky's grave due to the sign leading to it and the music notes. The island had a haunting, isolated energy to it along with the cold and wind. I saw a lot of older Italians going to pay their respects, perhaps part of the few local Venetians left.
Igor's gravesite, the music composition on the right
Next, I returned by vaporetto and bought some more sun dried tomatoes at the market. They make for great gifts. After having more delicious prosciutto and melon, a favorite Italian dish, I took another vaporetto to San Giorgio, an island church across the shore from San Marco. Solo exploration can be so much fun, especially having had plenty of time to understand the island's routes with my auntie. Not to mention all the interesting people watching and meeting that can happen along the way. Never got lost, whew!
Can't get enough of St. Mark's Square
San Giorgio
The famous Bridge of Sighs
I was ready to leave Venice in the evening to catch my train for Paris. I was so ready to head back to my second home, definitely more my comfort zone. My train was delayed for an hour, which was tiring, especially waiting around wishing I could speak French to get around. Fortunately people watching can be quite fun. I almost forgot it was New Year's Eve in the midst of travel fatigue when I saw two Italians kiss each other's cheeks and embrace with bon ano! I do love and will miss the Italian charm.
Arrivederci Venezia!
No comments:
Post a Comment