Day 2 in Rouen. I didn't do too much today except walk around and explore old town Rouen, very medieval and old in its structure and very charming. I especially loved seeing all the churches and cathedrals and more Joan of Arc references. She's definitely the French heroine; she paid with her life, but nonetheless, she resisted, even when the English threatened her with torture for being a heretic. Her story is so dramatic that I can see why plays have been adapted from it. She is indeed the epitome of what makes a great French martyr, heroine, and saint.
Stumbled across several ruins like this
Palace of Justice
In the beautiful park by the church
Sign honoring Joan of Arc
Afterward I took a break from my casual sightseeing to enjoy a relaxing with a nice cappuccino in a tea salon. I love the local cafés in France. Plus I do love French coffee. While there, I chatted with two young British ladies who are in Rouen as English teaching assistants. It was interesting hearing about France from their perspective. They too, find the hours for business odd here, but they also mentioned how the north of France is very similar to the UK, but the south is very different. They said it must be interesting being in Europe from an American perspective and how they are picking up American phrases from their students, and having to remind them, "It's a lift not an elevator." Overall it was pleasant to converse with people, since traveling on one's own can get lonely sometimes. It's always nice to be open to meeting people along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment