Strasbourg cathedral
We arrived in Stuttgart, took our next train to Heidelberg, which was very easy. I continue to love how easy, punctual, and organized German trains are. I have been working on getting used to being on vacation now since I still feel I'm in a student mindset reluctant to speak English with others to communicate. Clearly I've been in France for too long, since speaking English here is okay. No one is going to have any rude, or reluctant reaction to work with you. Plus the times people spoke in German to us like our taxi driver, it was easy to understand. I've become so used to French culture that I feel a strong difference whenever I'm in a different European country.
We dig these cars
We had a nice lunch at the restaurant across from our hotel and it threw me off how friendly our waitress was, asking twice if everything was going well with our meal. Poor Stephan had to deal with all my comments, that's not normal in France, that never happens. Stephan is more at ease here, whereas I am adjusting a little bit. We are on the same level now, which is good since he was getting fustrated with the language barrier in France. He clearly prefers Germany and it's fun seeing him sporting his German jersey. Yes, sometimes we drive each other absolutely crazy.
We did a bit of walking to get an idea of the feel of the town. Stephan said he prefers the Strasbourg energy vibe, but he loves the freedom he has here to not depend on language translation. Plus we can't wait to try the beer here. This is definitely a university town and we were impressed how the campus dining center is very castle/fortress looking. There are plenty of tourists here and the weather is perfect, but it completely exhausted us, so we ended up taking a very long siesta. Looking forward to more exploration tomorrow (we are both very interested in seeing the castle).
The view from our hotel window
Because Stephan's name is everywhere
The square where we had our dinner
and Stephan tried Bananenweizen (banana beer)
No comments:
Post a Comment