Cool graffiti park
The Berlin Cathedral at Museuminsel (Museum Island)
There was mass in German
The Museuminsel was really cool to check out, but I wasn't as interested in the museums with all the tourists and long lines. Maybe next time I would like to visit the Pentagamon museum, but one of its exhibits was currently under construction. Instead I saw a golden dome from Museuminsel, headed over, and realized it was the New Synagogue of Berlin, originally German's largest synagogue before parts of it were destroyed by bombing. The exterior and some of the interior have been beautifully restored, while leaving the model of its original architectural design. I visited its exhibit and climbed its dome (since lines to the Reichstag dome would have been too long). With two full days in Berlin, I had to be really choosy with what places I wanted to see.
The eternal lamp found in the destroyed synagogue
Model of the original synagogue
Its Torah scrolls also preserved
The Brandenburg Tor
The Reichstag
Memorial in Tiergarten park for the Holocaust victims
Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe
I loved taking the S-banh trams!
The bridge near the East Side Gallery where parts of the Berlin wall remain. Next time I hope to visit Checkpoint Charlie, which is a must as well. There was even a guy dressed as a German soldier to stamp people's passports as a tourist attraction.
Visiting the wall with Zahra, a friend & host for my stay
I was very impressed by my last stop, the Jewish Museum, which was very moving and I almost got lost a few times in the building because of the architectural style, which zigzags and one can take many different directions to each exhibit with the occasional dead ends. It brings to mind a cracked order in a society where so many suffered. The museum really simulates one into the feeling of isolation, especially when I went into the room, the Holocaust tower, which felt like walking into a small, dark, claustrophobic prison with only a small ray of light. The above photo is the Garden of Exile, similar to the previous memorial near the Brandenburg Tor, but its built on tilting ground, so one could almost feel sea sick walking through it.
The Fallen Leaves "Shalekhet" piece by Menashe Kadishman, which invokes the loss of the Jews of Europe. The artistic genius present in the museum was very powerful and the fact that one can walk on "the fallen leaves." It makes it all more real and leaves itself open to personal interpretation including other parts of the museum that invoke empty voids. The permanent exhibit afterward was more hopeful and educational relating to Jewish history, philosophy, and traditions. The visit was exhausting taking up almost three hours, but I really appreciated my solo visit. Sometimes visiting places like this alone can be all the more powerful.
This was a beautiful sight to come home to, Mt. St. Helens. I was very happy to come home and of course, there are little things I'm adjusting to like using American dollars again, paying with bank cards more than cash, how you can buy everything you need in one big store, and noticing how friendly Americans are in general. It's really the little things to adjust to, so nothing big. Fortunately being in Germany has helped with the cultural transition to speaking English again on a regular basis and more similarities with American culture. I think if I had come back directly from France I would have felt more strongly the difference. I'm very grateful for all the experiences, lessons, stories, occasional French/European habits and friendships to take back with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment