There were several markets going on at once in the Capitole (center of town). I spent some time at the one in the main plaza, which was very lively with musicians and foreign visitors. For lunch at the marketplace, I tried the poule gasconne, which was a chicken dish that included potatoes, which was delicious and heavy. While I was eating, I met a couple who lived in London, but the husband was from New York and the wife from New Zealand. They were very friendly and the Frenchman making announcements on the microphone loved to talk with us three in English and tease us in his public announcements.
I enjoyed my shopping at the market where I bought a nice wool scarf that wraps around the neck and head really well and some wool socks for skiing. I enjoyed good conversation with a friendly local Toulouse artist over her paintings and bought one for my mom. I also enjoyed a nice chocolate desert crêpe after my lunch. People are warmer and friendlier here in the south of France and I can feel the difference. Later, that afternoon I ran into a TEFL English student, Guiti who was surprised I spoke French (we always speak in English at TEFL Toulouse), but we had a friendly exchange. TEFL English students say wonderful things about the classes we prepare for them at the center, even though we TEFL students are still in training.
The first free site I visited was the Convent of the Jacobins, which was a stricter Christian branch that re-interpreted Catholicism and was responding to the wealth and corruption of the church for a more austere lifestyle. Groups like the Jacobins and Cathars were heavily persecuted under the Inquisition. The paintings in the convent and the building itself goes back to the fourteenth century!
My last visit was to the old Hospital de la Grave, which housed families, couples, children and still has apartments today. The dome is where the old chapel lies. I participated in a guided tour, so that was great for my French oral comprehension.
Lastly, I joined TEFL trainee, Andreas (who is from Denmark) for the narrative and firework spectacle at the Canal du Midi. The fireworks did not bother my ears and were quite lovely. I'll have to come back to visit again the historical Canal du Midi. It looks very romantic in the evening.
The first free site I visited was the Convent of the Jacobins, which was a stricter Christian branch that re-interpreted Catholicism and was responding to the wealth and corruption of the church for a more austere lifestyle. Groups like the Jacobins and Cathars were heavily persecuted under the Inquisition. The paintings in the convent and the building itself goes back to the fourteenth century!
Afterward I visited the inside of the Capitole building (town hall) where marriages are performed, advisory council holds meetings, and where art from famous artists like Henri Martin are preserved. My favorite room was the Salle of Illustrations where the ceilings were so elegant and impressive!
This is the room where marriages are performed.
The inside of the Dome de la Grave, the old chapel
Finally, I bought a ticket during a day of my October break to go see a matinee show of the Phantom of the Opera in Paris!! I'm so excited to realize a dream of seeing a musical I love in a foreign country and in French! This is the first time it will be presented in France in French. Plus, one of my favorite Broadway stars, Sierra Boggess will be playing the role of Christine in French!! I can't wait!!
This is star Sierra Boggess in rehearsals
for "All I Ask of You" (Mon Unique Souhait) with French Raoul!

No comments:
Post a Comment