Wednesday, September 21, 2016

September 21, 2016

The TEFL Toulouse course is going by very fast and I am continuing to grow and improve my teaching skills. The trainers give great advice and are very helpful! I will feel all the more prepared and ahead of the game when working as an assistant English teacher with TAPIF!

Each of us TEFL trainees have a one-on-one project where we spend two sessions with an individual student, creating a lesson plan that suits their learning interests. I recently worked with Ivan for my project, a nice guy from Venezuela who is living in Toulouse after having studied in France, but hoping to improve his English. I tailored his lesson towards job interviews, CVs, and talking about life/job experiences. It was a good, successful lesson and I appreciate his sense of humour. Afterwards we went to a cafe and shared a coffee and small dinner together, which gave me an opportunity to practice my Spanish and for him, his English. Occasionally we would speak in French as well (mostly if it was about the food). It feels good to have another friend living in Toulouse who comes from a warm, friendly culture. We talked mostly in Spanish, discussing the situation in Venezuela and he shared some Spanish expressions (from Spain) and Venezuelan ones. Overall, it was a pleasant evening.

Today, I received my ticket for Phantom of the Opera and I beyond excited! I have decided to use musicals on the West End and Broadway for my next lesson plan. Lesson planning practice with TEFL Toulouse is time consuming, but really fun for me. It is gratifying to genuinely enjoy teaching and working with my students. I continue to be motivated and want to improve my skills. Each time, lesson planning comes a little bit easier with more experience.

After getting a lot of work done on my lesson plan for this Friday, I joined João for a walk in the Jardin des Plantes, a part of town he hadn't seen yet. It was certainly good exercise and learning some new words in Portuguese. I showed him my walking route that I take everyday through the park to TEFL Toulouse. We explored more of the area near the center of town, including my favorite spot, St. Étienne Church. João is leaving to head back to Portugal this coming weekend and Mako from Japan has already left, so it will just be me for the last week of September. It's been great having a new friend as a housemate and we enjoy conversations in French with couple Éliane and George at dinner. After spending a lot of time hearing British accents through the day at TEFL Toulouse, the accent sometimes sticks and I temporarily forget my American accent. It changes intermittently.




 With João in the Jardin des Plantes





I love these cobblestone designs!




I feel I have grown since my last time in France. I am less afraid of standing out, be it talking in English in public or my accent, more relaxed with my surroundings. I feel more secure and confident in myself as a person, more accepting of making mistakes. I am all the more proud of where I am from in the States and speak highly of Portland and the beauty of my state, Oregon. I feel more grounded equally in both worlds.


No comments:

Post a Comment