Tuesday, January 28, 2014

January 14, 2014

It's so cold this morning! My toes are freezing! At least I was able to get up early this morning. Genviève was very surprised to see me in the kitchen at 7h having breakfast. I'm the most prepared for my journey in terms of supplies. I also feel like I have the biggest appetite of anyone here, because a small breakfast is just never enough for me. Plus I think the amount of dairy I've been eating has been starting to catch up with me. I tend to be in denial that I have a mild dairy allergy when in France. There are no trains going to Lamballe, or Châteaubriant today, but the good news is there is a train going to Nantes! This is where I have been hoping to study abroad, because my university has an approved France program for Nantes through IES. 

I really think after my wonderful visit to Nantes I will be very at home there. It's busy, but not too busy like Paris. I visited three cathedrals and a château as well. It took my breath away when I stepped into the interior of the first cathedral. When I was inside the third cathedral, I sat down in a pew taking it all in. I'm sitting inside living history! You don't have to be religious to be moved by the grandeur of it all. Nantes also has a 7 acre parc, Jardin du Plantes. I can see myself coming here in the future to write and visit. It's a "little heaven," perfect for this city. I also got to visit earlier the museum for the castle of Nantes, where I learned about the importance of the Edict of Nantes. It's steps toward religious tolerance between the Catholics and Protestants were huge at the time. I admire that Nantes has aspired to be a city that is a model for religious tolerance and the city even gives awards for leaders who practice peace in the world. I didn't get a chance to see the whole museum, because I got hungry really fast. I really enjoyed my late lunch though of chevre et pomme bägel. It was absolutely delicious! 

The three cathedrals I visited:




And the castle!


No comments:

Post a Comment