Tuesday, January 28, 2014

January 17, 2014

It is my last day in France and I feel so tired. I am looking forward to relaxing on the flight heading home. Now I have five new books in French to add to my personal library. On my way to my last visit to Clarisse's school, she told me that the school hours are going to be changed in France. Normally the elementary students have Wednesdays off and then on all other days they end school at half past 4. I agree with Clarisse They work very late! I visited another class at the school where the kids asked me questions like do I have children? Am I married? And they thought that American Indians are like the stereotype seen in Disney's Peter Pan. Native Americans are portrayed so badly in the media. Kids, especially American ones should be educated about the current situation of Native Americans today, rather than just their history. It will help debunk stereotypes. Later I got to read to the kids in English "A Very Hungry Caterpillar," a book I remember well from my childhood. They drew me things and there was a girl in the class whose family was from Peru. She wanted me to speak a little bit in Spanish. This was particularly difficult because I've forgotten a lot of my Spanish. When school was over a lot of the kids in Clarisse's class came over to me to shake my hand, give me a hug, or kiss on the cheek. It was so sweet!
After we got home, we were on our way to Paris. It was a three hour car ride and thankfully the Bouchacourts were celebrating a family wedding there. It was fortunate for me to be in Paris the night before I left. I got to meet their cousins Sophie and Augustin that evening. Their parents were so gracious to having me as a guest for that evening. We had quite a late dinner with spiced tomatoes and zucchini, le poisson, le pasta et la galette des rois encore! Augustin, Jeanne, Genviève, and Sophie all exchanged flavors of Bertie Bot's Every Flavored Beans. I did not partake, but it was very funny to observe. Gabriel and Clarisse were very generous to drive me to the airport, because the train wasn't going regularly. What touched me the most was Genviève waking up for a moment to wish me farewell. "Tu reviendras?" she asked me. "Oui, bien sûr," I assured her. 


With Jeanne, Sophie, Augustin, and Genviève

No comments:

Post a Comment