Thursday, October 23, 2014

October 23, 2014

Midterms are around the corner, or already taking place for many students at IES, so some of us have had some down days, whether it be stress, or homesickness, etc. Plus, sometimes I get sick of being around American students all the time and start missing the French families and friends I know. I look forward to seeing them soon! I feel like being in France has kind of subdued me and I feel like it's made me more reserved a little for now with the people I am surrounded with here. Fortunately, I do feel good confiding in several good friends at IES I have made. I don't think it necessarily a bad thing, simply an observation. I think that's what being immersed in another language and culture does. It changes how one communicates in different ways. For example, I just speak more softly in French than I do in English. I am quieter and calmer because I am immersed in a quieter, reserved culture. America is a loud culture where I find myself more outgoing, smiling, and laughing more. I am learning more to project and enunciate in the language through my theater class. It can certainly be exhausting that sometimes I start missing Spanish and Italian. So the other two can make for good outlets if I ever need a break from French.

 It's really nice having my host family's apartment to myself for two weeks because most people are on vacation here. It feels like having my own place, especially because I can cook whenever I want, like making French toast midday for Victoria after she took her midterm. With tasty apricot jam and brioche bread, I think it made for a delicious treat. I miss my dad's breakfasts, so I try making them for myself, which is fun. I am on the look out for more recipes to try and then bring home with me. France offers plenty of inspiration for faire la cuisinière. 

A few days ago, I enjoyed a nice run with two friends, Caroline and Claudia. They live near a wonderful park with plenty of hidden pathways, including an old estate. The parks here are my favorite!! I plan on trying to visit as many as I can in Nantes. On the way to her house, Caroline showed me a seminary school nearby her house. She told me an acquaintance of hers would be studying with IES in the spring and because the girl also went to Catholic school, she said, you guys will already have that in common. I love hanging out with Caroline; she's a sweetheart. I am very enthused for the short October vacation and the second where I'll have some time in Morocco. I know all the IES students are ready for a break and it will be coming up soon! 


Words on the panels of the Middle Passage Slavery Memorial in Nantes. The city was a major trading center for slavery. I loved that the memorial was underground, somewhat simulating the experience of being trapped inside a slave ship. 

 Mon amie, Caroline in front of the seminary school


 Another perspective of the beautiful seminary school 

Nantes in the evening 

No comments:

Post a Comment