Sunday, October 26, 2014

October 26, 2014

I really need the vacation coming up soon. Four days doing some solo sightseeing will do me some good. I'll be finished with my second midterm by tomorrow for my history class that I overall enjoy and find fascinating. I think what's bothering me right now is not having a lot of opportunity to be immersed in French. I am surrounded by American students at the IES Abroad Center, some who have very little incentive to speak French. It's just a different atmosphere I'm tired of being around. I think it will help if I'm able to take one or two classes at the University of Nantes next semester. The only hard part is making sure if the classes I choose transfer to my home school.

 Having the apartment to myself is great, but after a while having none of my host family here to practice my French with kind of lowers my morale a little bit. Not to mention homesickness for family and the yearning to spend time with French family and friends. It's hard trying to coordinate with them though because the families I know here are on very different academic schedules than I am, so I have to figure that out.

I did end up going for a good run today, spent some time studying for my exam, plus I have the chance to borrow Nelson Mandela's memoir The Long Walk to Freedom from Victoria's bookshelf. Azelia encouraged me to read it and I already know I will find plenty of inspiration from it. Looking forward to visiting Lourdes for my first break. I think it will be a nice change.



No comments:

Post a Comment