Thursday, October 9, 2014

October 9, 2014

During my conversations with a friend, Shadi, we discussed how much we look forward to French dinners. They are a treat, an event, something to enjoy without rushing. I think it's probably turning me into a snob, because now I wait and expect others to wait while I, or someone else finishes eating. I wonder if that will be a problem when I get back home. I had been feeling a bit homesick as of late, so cooking for myself and helping my host mom with dinner make me feel more at home, not to mention grocery shopping. 

French grocery stores are fascinating for me to spend time in. There are so many options for cheese, milk, yogurt, bread, it blows my mind. I'm so glad I don't have a serious dairy allergy, or else I would be in trouble. France does not cater to lactose intolerant or vegetarians that well. Fortunately, I have been able to make simple vegetarian dishes for lunch, while eating food like pasta, or meat for dinner. The French do a great job at serving and eating in small portions; a discipline I am still learning to practice. I am used to eating quickly, not slowly. So I have to mentally tell myself to try to enjoy the food more, even if it's a delicious pastry. 

I also love that the French, like Europeans in general will give straight up answers. When I asked my host mom if she liked my idea of including peppers with the pasta, she said straight up, "no." I giggled at that, unsure what to say. "We do that at my home all the time," I basically tried to explain. Oh well. I love offering suggestions, plus I like that my host mom has a Louisiana cookbook, lots of great seafood ideas! 

 Melissa and Victoria in le Parc ProcĂ©

 St. Joseph where I am an assistant English teacher

One of the best chocolate shops in Nantes!  

 A delicious lemon pastry! 

The University of Nantes looks beautiful during fall

No comments:

Post a Comment