I miss so many things right now: my wonderful university community, cooking at home with my dad, my friends, singing in choir (unfortunately that didn't work with my schedule this semester), singing in the Revels, being busier with homework (strange, but yes), taking religion classes from amazing professors. Not being busy that much with IES class work is hard, because work distracts me from any homesickness. I'm still looking for distractions.
Laney told me her friend, Haley struggled with the same thing being abroad. I talked to Mme. Rochet, a staff member at IES Abroad about my IES classes not being challenging enough (except for the occasional important exam). She replied, "Staying with a host family, adjusting to the culture, and the language, that's the challenge." Maybe that just isn't good enough for me. Perhaps taking more classes next semester will help, or finding more extracurricular activities like choir at the university will help. Plus I'm dying to take another foreign language course at the university. I'd take Arabic, Italian, or Spanish all together, but that would kill my brain. But that's how much I love learning them. It requires so much effort and the part of me that's a workaholic likes that challenge. So hoping to take a Spanish class next semester and get some good review in before. Besides, I want to use Spanish when I visit Spain; it's a must!
I already knew the educational system was going to be different here, but the lack of homework is really throwing me off. So trying to keep busy with other creative outlets. My host mom suggested traveling to other French towns I'm interested in as well. I do have a trip to Poitiers coming up with Christine and Victoria: that will be a welcome distraction! Hopefully I'll have a chance to meet up with an old high school alum, Josie who is studying there.
Not to mention listening to any kind of Christmas music is hard, but yet Anuna's music is so good. I highly recommend them! I still love going for runs by the river L'Erdre and Nantes is so beautiful during the fall/winter with all the colors.
No comments:
Post a Comment