Wednesday, September 10, 2014

September 10, 2014

Sometimes it can be an isolating experience when you're trying to use your second language and there are students who don't understand a lot of French and native speakers who may not understand you either at times. It's in the pursuit to understand and be understood that I'm learning to pick up other cues of how people communicate as well: gestures, tone, body language, the energy they radiate. I am learning more and more the values of patience and silence, even taking the time to embrace the moment, to not rush. So many French people I know always tell me, "N'inquiete pas. Repose-toi!" (Don't worry, relax). Learning a language teaches me to listen more and have patience with myself: these are not easy skills to cultivate, but I take it one day at a time.

I admit it: I am homesick and this is normal. There isn't really a word for homesickness in French, but that one feels bad, or not well. My host mom and I communicate well together in French and she wanted to make sure I was getting any comfort food I needed. She's never had a student for a year, so I'm the first she's seen feel really homesick because for most students it's only for four months. For comfort, I write a lot, and voila, the answer is right in front of me, out of my head; it is released. I love going for walks in Nantes, or even grocery shopping, doing normal routines I would do if I were at home. In fact, my host mom cheered me up by saying, "We're going to a crêperie this evening for dinner. Would you like that?" Not long after eating two delicious crêpes, I told her how much more happier I felt. She smiled, "It's not the crêpes, it's the cider."

Haneen skyped me unexpectedly and I couldn't be more grateful for it. I love spontaneous calls and hers made my day. I never thought I'd miss Puget Sound, but the campus is comfortable and beautiful. I miss getting Arnold Palmers at Diversions and taking in the fresh air and being surrounded by so many trees. She even showed me the campus from outside her window; it's looks as beautiful as ever. Yes, I do miss it and my fellow Loggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment