It was fun hearing "Liberée Delivrée" (Let it Go) being played on the piano at La Gare de Rennes (train station). Amidst the unfamiliar, it's natural to cling to things that are. I prefer La Reine des Neiges (Frozen) in French-anything but the English version, which I am sick of.
First class on the TGV to Nantes was really nice, so much so that I couldn't believe I had bought a first class ticket in advance. It's normal-I have been getting used to feeling out of place, but I don't pretend to be French. With blond hair and blue eyes, I probably look more German anyway. I took my first taxi in France from La Gare de Nantes and arrived at the IES Abroad Center, which is quaint and charming. I met many American students, most from the Midwest, although I met two from my region. Claudia, who goes to PLU (our UPS rival) and Nathan who goes to University of Portland. Everyone was very friendly.
(L-R: Alberto, Ethan, Nathan)
It was weird at first speaking in English with everyone, because I had been speaking only in French for the past three days. I wanted to keep speaking in French, but then I would be the odd one out, oh well. My English sounded interesting, lots of pauses, trying to transition back into my native tongue. One student even found my accent British-like. I think my English will probably become more formal by the time I return to the U.S. I always say "pardon" now out of habit, rather than any form of "sorry." I had become so used to being around French people that I even gave one student bisous in greeting because I thought she was French. Oh, well, she went along with it.
My host family is absolutely wonderful! My host mom, Catherine is very hospitable and I have a room of my own. I feel very privileged to be in their home. I understand Catherine very well in French and she said I speak it well. That felt really good! Plus I think the past three days immersed in French really sharpened my attention and any overall review I needed. We went for a short walk together in Nantes and did a little grocery shopping. I feel already that this city is my home. It is very much like Portland with plenty of bicyclists and parks and public transportation. There are so many fun activities to do! I don't think I will want to leave!
The river in Nantes
The cathedral of Nantes in the city square
No comments:
Post a Comment