The program IES has several flaws I am coming to grips with: there is very little interaction with the French people outside of the with host families. I am surrounded by American students all the time and therefore, speak way more in English than I should. I worry my French sometimes isn't improving as fast as I would like it too, whereas when staying with Sophie and Blandine's family in the beginning of the fall, I sensed huge improvement within days. I had to speak French and it was a delight. Whereas at IES frankly, I get sick of it sometimes, which I never thought I'd say with one of my favorite languages. So I have come up with several goals and solutions to make the second semester even better than the first:
1. Continue to do solo trips in France; one of my favorite things to do. Being here, I've realized I definitely am at sometimes a solitary person and just speaking in French while traveling alone is the best. So much so that sometimes I have forgotten what it's like to travel with a group. I am open to traveling with small groups of friends as well. I think I was able to strike a balance with that this semester.
2. Visit Sophie, Louisa, and Blandine whenever possible. I love seeing them whenever I can and I am blessed to have them and their families in my life.
3. Take two, or three classes at the university. Classes at IES can become really repetitive, so I am in need of a new environment where hopefully my French will continue to improve.
4. Try other elective activities, maybe do the theater class again if I have room in my schedule, or try university choir. I need to be acting, or singing, or both. They allow a space for plenty of creative energy and one gets to know people really well through the process.
5. Continue to stay active, go running by the river, visit more of the beautiful parks in Nantes. I can't get enough of the parks here, and they will be so beautiful in spring.
That all being said, I am grateful for the friends I've made through IES and despite several ups and downs I have passed a good first semester abroad. It's made me realize more how I want to be living and the relationships and communities I want to continue to have present in my life.
Photos of us at the theater before our performance
Azelia, Morgan, and Piper
Clare and Kaleigh in costume
Kaleigh as the clown
Before the show
I love hot chocolate with friends
Trying my first vin chaud (hot wine)
at the Christmas market with Christine





No comments:
Post a Comment