We started early this morning, hiking the Campanile, the Duomo tower. What a way to start the morning gazing out at Florence! 270 ft. tall and way less crowded, especially since we went early in the morning. I had fun explaining to my auntie Catholic trivia, symbolic images in the frescoes and sculptures, the differences between saints, apostles, and prophets.
View from the Campanile of the magnificent dome
The bell tower, Campanile we hiked
Enjoying pear chocolate cake at the piazza
Mia bella zia, my beautiful aunt
The view from our hotel
Enjoying the gorgeous sunshine by the river
More elegant, Florence paper
We then visited Santa Maria dell Carmine, which was across the river housing many fresoes. Jan told me she prefers them to statues: they tell stories. We enjoyed a delicious lunch with pear chocolate cake, afterward continuing our search her artist Giuseppe, asking an artist at the Duomo about him. "Your boyfriend?" he asked. "No," Jan tried to explain, while I remembered the word, amici for friends, but singular, amico. "Who is she?" he asked me. "Mia zia, my aunt," I explained. He shook our hands afterward giving us both kisses on the cheeks, the Italian charm.
Jan, the "hangry" lion
Finally we visited the Santa Maria Novella after Jan asked for directions in Spanish from a group of men from Central America. So many amazing frescoes in the cathedral's museum, especially detailing the works of the Dominican order along with plenty of housed saint relics. (Jan wasn't too into those). I like that we haven't tried to pack all the museums in; we just choose them spontaneously.
Santa Maria dell Carmine
December 27
First thing this morning was climbing the Duomo. What a fun way to start the day! Next more cappuccino and pastries to wake us up; we are in good spirits. Jan spent some more time at Mercato Centrale and I found a favorite book in my favorite language: the Book Thief, Una Historia di una Ladra di Libri. I've been wanting to re-read it again for a while now. I have so much more motivation than ever to learn Italian and more confidence in my language skills. Plus some Spanish is coming back intermixed with the Italian because I'm hearing Jan speak it more. I think because Jan and me are trying to speak the language that we've received some good deals from friendly merchants. I am so coming back to this country! After shopping a bit, sharing a delicious lunch at a local hangout spot, and eating fabulous gelato.
More amazing gelato
Jan and her cappuccino
Our after Duomo hike snack
At the top of the Duomo dome
View from the Duomo
The fresco inside where we went to midnight mass

No comments:
Post a Comment