Monday, December 22, 2014

December 22, 2014

I have never felt more relieved to leave a house before and early in the morning too. Glad to start putting it all behind me, take the lessons learned and begin again. The short 1/2 hr. train ride from Nantes to Angers was very relaxing. The change in host families is going to be so good for me. The new home has more windows, more space. It didn't take me too long to feel relaxed after tea and conversation with my new host mom, Maylïs. It was like talking to a grandmother, but in French, plus hearing her say that my French was good felt great too. I really like older French people. They are friendlier and twice when I've said I was American, they have brought up WWII when French/American relations were very impacting. Living with her and her husband will be so much easier. Maylïs was herself an exchange student in the U.S. around the same age and passed three months of hard work struggling with the language. She's already been in my shoes, which is a relief to know because she will be more understanding of my situation, I think. I have faith all will be well; I'm proud of how I've handled everything as best I can, even though switching at the last minute was incredibly stressful. 

The first thing I wanted after arriving in Angers was coffee; I think France is turning me into an espresso addict, because of the coffees are so much smaller in size and less sweet. It's really hard being away from the rest of my family during the holidays, but time with my auntie is going to be special. Angers is a bit like Poitiers, small and pleasant, but it also has a tram and big castle like in Nantes. I'm still getting over all the drama recently and catching up on good sleep without all the stress. I've also been getting used to having less access to internet at times. The more one travels, the more one realizes how luxurious it can be living in the U.S. Whereas, other places you don't need as much stuff; I get so sick of Western consumerism. My French is the best it has ever been; I never feel unsafe traveling alone in this country. 


 Emmiliana and Christine, tea time at La Cigale
 My last selfie with friends from the fall semester







 The opera house of Angers, all decorated for Christmas 



 The cathedral of Angers 
The best light desert ever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment